Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Whats the point?

No its not an emo post. Its another philo/life talk.

Joel asked me whats the point for doing so much, and being so fit. What for run so much, cos theres a certain level of fitness that would be enough if I just wanted to live healthily. I didn't have the answer immediately, and I realised that I, too, had asked myself this before. What's the point?

Then I thought about it. Sense of accomplishment came first. The feeling of breaking a PB, or just finishing a long run strong makes me feel good. And then it leads on to stuff like "If I can run a marathon, I can do anything" sort of thinking.

And then when I thought about it even more, I realised that running gave me self confidence, amongst many things. If one day I manage to reach some sort of goal I once deemed impossible, it would make me know that if I wanted something and I work for it, I could get it. It also makes me confident as I know that I can control my mind and do what I should do, not what I want to do. For example, if I had to choose between sleeping in on a Sunday morning and waking up at 5 to cycle, I would choose sleeping in. However, because I know what I want to achieve, I can control myself and drag myself out of bed.

And that leads to another point: running trains the mind. Most of the time its mind over matter; its easy to give excuses such as "There's a lot of homework" or "I already ran yesterday" or "One day won't make a difference" etc etc. When I go for a run I am actually blocking out these negative thoughts from my brain, or the "devil" that is present in everyone of us.

There's many other reasons why I run, such as destress and giving myself time on my own where I am free from distractions and I can let my mind wander. But ultimately I believe it has made me a better person, as I am sure all the other runners in the world will attest to =) There must be a reason why so many people are doing it, right?

That's the point

No comments: