Thursday, July 25, 2013

Early Retirement

In the previous Sunday Times, there was an article in the Invest section on living on $35 a day. In it, the writer mentioned a "Mr Money Mustache". It was intriguing. Not the image of a mustache made of money, or the alliteration. But the next line which described this man's credential; retired at the age of 30, currently with a family of 3.

So I harnessed the power of Google and easily found his blog. Just typing "Mr Money" into the mind reader, wrong, search engine and his Web address came out. This guy must be quite something. Apart from his actual blog, there were a couple of links about reviews on him. I've read all about reviews on smartphones, tablets, watches, laptops... But a review on a human being? That's a first for me.

I entered his blog. And it was like a cult (MMM, KKK...?) . He had a strong following, and I could see why. Reading his life story, I was hooked. To retire by 30 and do whatever he wanted, yet not live a spartan lifestyle? That had to be the dream. The new sexy. And I couldn't stop myself from clicking on (or rather, pressing on the tablet). The more I read, the more I wanted to read. He didn't talk about what to invest in, or what to buy. What he mainly posted about was a lifestyle, the art of being prudent. Not a science, an art. The painting was the life, and the brushstrokes the lifestyle. An his life was kind of a masterpiece. The key was not so much to be the best investor, but to save as much as possible. And the "how" to that question is what he is all about. The biggest draw for me? He goes on all about commuting with a bicycle! Finances, and cycling. What better way for the two to intersect!

I could go on and on about his ideology and methods, but a much more effective method would just be to put a hyperlink.

Apart from making me a Mustachian, he gave me thoughts and ideas. Now saving isn't just to get rich, it becomes a challenge to save as much yet still lead a good life. And the stage I am at right now (or will be in a month time) gives me the ideal situation to play this game. The goal? To come up with a better masterpiece than MMM himself. And I've got a pretty good head start right now!

No comments: